Monday, November 17, 2008

Joan Curtis was inspired

Before:
After:
Ok. I am not posting pictures of my dirty dish pile to show everyone how behind I get at times, or to show how wonderful I am at keeping up on my dishes. In our apartment we don't have a dishwasher. Which is fine. I'm not complaining. The main thing I am wanting to point out are those pink rubber gloves hanging over the counters edge. When I was in Jr. High all the way through high school I would be at the Curtis home constantly. Joan Curtis is the mother of my dear friends Catherine and Jane. Every time she would do the dishes she would pull out her yellow rubber gloves and go to work. I would watch her and think, "That is such a good idea!" My own mother never used gloves. But there is nothing worse than dishwater hands after all the dishes are done. So, ever since Erik and I got married I ALWAYS wear my pink rubber gloves and go to work. I thank and write this in memory of beautiful Joan Curtis who truly inspired a young girl who now has piles of dishes to conquer every day. 

7 comments:

w and w said...

Never tried it, but should've before we got a dishwasher. Didn't she teach us all so many wonderful things? And your daughter... I know you know what I'm going to say... TOO CUTE my goodness! IT KILLS ME EACH TIME! I call I get to hold her for a VERY LONG TIME if I see you in UT!!!

Kate said...

love it. have i told you about my diagnosis of "housewives hands?!" ask me about it sometime. i need some pink gloves. yellow for the toilet, pink for the kitchen... how does that sound:)

Liz said...

Pink gloves are a marvy idea. I saw some gloves once that had fingernails and a diamond ring painted on. Pretty funny! Please don't think your counter with dirty dishes looks bad. Just remember our kitchen after a meal, and it will cheer you up! Oh, but it would warm your heart the way we all work together doing dishes at night. Sometimes we even sing instead of arguing! :)

Jane Durham said...

so cute Jen. I love that memory. I have yellow gloves under my sink...although if pink had been available who can say they wouldn't be pink?

Kim and Steve said...

Very cute background...love that you have cooked with your crockpot in the before picture. i still need some good recipes. coming into town soon?

cath said...

love it. loved those days when you were at my house.

brenley said...

if i had pink gloves i too would wear them each time i did the dishes! i have had a pair of yellow ones that have been used twice our whole marriage. sad. i don't want to compare my hands to yours...:)