Saturday, November 14, 2009

two little kids


I finally got up the courage to give Darla a little trim. I didn't know if it was going to be crazy to try and have her hold still. She held very still - considering she was glued to the Little Einstein's DVD.
Once again it's another weekend and I cannot believe it. I have decided that time disappears because the days and nights all run together right now. There was a day this week that suddenly turned into night and then the next thing I knew it was 7 AM and I was doing the dishes - had I slept? It was already morning? :)
These two little kids continue to teach me. This week my mom (an incredible mother) gave me a piece of advice that she received sometime in her life - treat your children like they are your best friend. For example you wouldn't get frustrated if your best friend was walking too slowly, you would most likely slow down to walk with them, or if your friend broke something, or got something dirty you would most likely react patiently and help them. Ever since she said this, I have been thinking about Darla and our interactions, about Bennett and our interactions. I hope I can apply this idea as I strive to raise my children with love and patience. There is much to learn. I love being a mom.

4 comments:

Brian and Emily said...

I love that thought from your mom- who is a pro mom. You are brave cutting her hair! How did it go? Next thing you know, she's going to find the scissors and cut herself some sweet bangs. Can't wait for that blog post:)

Rachel said...

Darla's hair is so long! Bennett is so cute. He looks like a boy Darla! I can't wait to see you guys in a month!

PS. Tell Erik he has a nice arm.

Liz said...

That is the best advice ever. I think I will put that in my great quote part of my blog. Thanks for sharing. I love learning from you and your mom!

I asked Anna about passing another thing on to Darla. She said yes, but that "we'll have to wrap it up first!"

brenley said...

what great advice! i needed that today! thank you!! patience is something i'm always striving to learn, and when i think i've learned, i quickly realized i am far from perfecting it. life is grand!