Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I was in the grocery check out line this morning with a full basket. This darling old lady was standing behind me in line and commented on how many gallons of milk I had in my cart. She then continued by telling be that she can't drink milk just usually buys a small amount that she can mix in with her tomato soup. She smiled as she saw that I also had tomato soup on the conveyer-belt. "You must like tomato soup as well?" she said.
When it was my turn at the register the old lady said to the woman who was checking my groceries "This girl has bought the whole store. I guess you need to when you have a little one to feed. I used to have a daughter but she died on April 27th from cancer of the throat." 
The checker asked, "Did she smoke?"
"Yes she did," the old lady replied, "and I had stopped smoking myself, but right after she died I picked it back up again because I was so sad and stressed because of her death. I didn't know what to do."
It was an interesting interaction for me.   I was standing there listening, feeling sad for the little old lady who returned to the habit that killed her daughter, and knowing without any doubt that this little old lady would see her daughter again - which is one simple piece of knowledge that those two women didn't have any idea about. 
I paid for my groceries and left without telling either of them about the little piece of truth that I possess.  When I got in my car tears started streaming down my face. For some reason I felt sorrow for that old lady having just experienced the passing of her daughter. I felt sorrow that not all of God's children know of Him, His love, and the beautiful plan of salvation. 
I am so blessed to know of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so blessed to have been raised in a family of faith, hope and testimony. In the future I pray that I will open my mouth and share what I know to those that sit in darkness. How can I not when I am so blessed?

2 comments:

Liz said...

I have been in your shoes. I'll give you some of my passalong cards that I keep forgetting to keep in my purse. We are so blessed! I hope the same thing for me that you do for you. Let's pray for each other :)

Mindy Williams said...

You are so cute and amazing. How lucky Darla will be to learn from you. It's hard to open our mouths to something some personal and special and yet I hope that I will one day be able to have that experience where I can share the gospel too. Next time Jen, next time!